Sunday, September 2, 2012

Total Recall, Premium Rush, Bourne Legacy

Hey! It's been a while, I know, I know. I apologize sincerely. Anyway. The past month has been a little bit ... lack for movies, in my world, at least. I haven't seen Paranorman or Expendables yet, but I'll get around to them eventually. I did, however, see Total Recall, the Bourne Legacy, and Premium Rush. In that order.

Total Recall was... okay. I mean, I really enjoyed it but I like Colin Farrell and I like science-fiction-futuristic stuff in it. But I'll be the first person to admit that the story had little substance and a lot of pretty people doing cool things like jumping out of buildings and walking away from explosions. Sure, there was a nod (which one would probably miss in passing) to Mars and the ending wasn't actually the ending because there was like an immediate second ending and it was just a little ... ridiculous. The storyline was thin and there just wasn't a whole lot to it. It was pretty. But it was pretty unsubstantial.




Bourne Legacy. I think the problem with this movie was that a lot of people just weren't expecting there to be "another" even though all the ads said that. Seriously, practically every ad said "there was never just one!" so when you get online you see people complaining that Jeremy Renner isn't Jason Bourne -- when it's been made relatively clear the entire time that Jeremy Renner's Aaron Cross is not Jason Bourne. Even people I talked to had this problem—"I want Matt Damon!" But, regardless of what they said, the movie was good--lots of action and Jeremy Renner's a pretty stellar actor, but some of the time it seemed like he was on a hunt for drugs. That's pretty much what the entire movie was about. Going overseas so he could get cured of his need for drugs. "WHERE ARE THE CHEMS?" (said in the spirit of Jack Bauer, may 24 rest in peace). Overall, though, it was a good movie. A bit slow in the beginning but it picked up once they started blowing stuff up and shooting at each other. The story was a little bit ... thin at times, just like Total Recall, but overall, it was very enjoyable.

Premium Rush isn't the kind of movie that draws in tons of audiences. How many people are going to see an ad about bike couriers in New York and be like "wow. That looks like a darn good movie to see." Not a lot, unfortunately. But, the good thing here is that for people who know who Joseph Gordon-Levitt is, they'll probably go see it. We saw Premium Rush about a week after it came out and I almost regretted waiting that long. It was hilarious. Gordon-Levitt's Wilee is a sarcastic, smug bike-messenger who gets stuck delivering the worst package possible because somebody doesn't  want him to have it. The movie has a lot of fast-paced and cringe-worthy action, and a lot of funny moments. There were points in the movie where we were laughing so hard that we couldn't breathe. Out of the three movies listed I think that this one was probably my favourite. It was funny, it went quickly, and sure, the story wasn't absolutely wonderful, but I mean, I'll become a New York bike messenger because it looks like all kinds of dangerous fun.

Upcoming this month: Perks of Being a Wallflower and Looper. I have a lot of feelings about Perks so we'll see how that actually ends up being. Looper looks fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment